Toyota Gazoo Racing’s Sebastien Ogier is on the verge of claiming his eighth FIA World Rally Championship title after a strong second day in the season-ending ACI Rally Monza in Italt.
The rally lead changed hands five times over six stages on Saturday and speaking following the action, Ogier said:
“I didn’t expect to regain the lead tonight,” he admitted. “I’m taking a bit less risk and losing a bit of time. We hope there will be emotion, and some very strong ones tomorrow. A win would be the cherry on the cake, but the main target we are chasing is not the rally win.”Sebastien Ogier
Leading positions after Saturday
- S Ogier / J Ingrassia FRA Toyota Yaris 2hr 13min 27.2sec
- E Evans / S Martin GBR Toyota Yaris +0.5sec
- D Sordo / C Carrera ESP Hyundai i20 +27.4sec
- T Neuville / M Wydaeghe BEL Hyundai i20 +46.6sec
- O Solberg / E Edmondson SWE Hyundai i20 +1min 21.2sec
- T Katsuta / A Johnston GBR Toyota Yaris +1min 38.8sec
Sebastien Ogier just needs a top three finish on Sunday to claim the championship win.